LEAVING HOME WITH CIGARS?
Take your sticks along & keep them smoke-ready
Your cigars are calling to you from inside your humidor. (The sound might be muffled by Boveda, but you can still hear them.)
They saw you take your luggage out.
They know you’re leaving.
So why not throw a few sticks in your bag to smoke at your final destination?
WHAT MAKES A TRAVEL HUMIDOR WORK WELL?
Whether you’re heading across the country, up to the lake or just out for the day, humidity control does not take a vacation. Leaving cigars without humidity control—even for a few hours—can damage your cigars, affect their burn and diminish their flavor. So leave room in that cigar case or travel humidor for Boveda.
Unlike wet cedar strips, sponges and 1-way humidifiers, Boveda will not make your cigars soggy. Boveda’s 2-way humidity control only adds or removes moisture if it’s needed. Then Boveda maintains a constant relative humidity (RH) level in your humidor.And even in close quarters, Boveda can safely touch your cigars.
In the market for a travel humidor or cigar case? Ask yourself:
- Where are you taking your cigars?
- How many cigars will you pack?
- What do you want to store with your sticks?
- What’s your budget?
- What look are you going for?
What is the difference between a cigar case and travel humidor?
A cigar case is more like a wallet or a passport case and less like a carry on. Holds a few cigars for shorter excursions. Keeps your cigars and their accessories in one convenient, elegant place. Frees up room in your briefcase, handbag and pockets. More of an everyday carry-all than long-term storage.
Cigar cases are perfect for:
- Professional meetings
- Nights out
- Day trips
- Weekend getaways
- Golf outings
What to Look for in a Cigar Case
- Full-grain leather
- Durable metal zipper
- Room to stow cigar accessories, such as a cigar stand, cutter and lighter
- Smart add-ons, including a pocket for business cards, a pen and a smart phone
- Space for Boveda Humidor Bag
- Fine enough to pull out during a networking event, dinner or herf
A Peter James Leather Cigar Case, from $300 to $445. Dropping a few hundo on a Peter James cigar case? Spring $40 extra for its Guardian, too. The aluminum tray slides into the cigar pocket to further protect your sticks. Choosing a leather cigar case means you’ll sacrifice humidity control for style, unless you zip your cigars into a small Boveda Humidor Bag that’s been preloaded with Boveda before pocketing that Peter James.
A travel humidor is more like an attaché case or tackle box than a wallet. (You might hear them also called Pelican™ cases.) They’re typically airtight and watertight. Many cigar lovers use these powerhouses as their home humidors as well as long-term travel storage.
More for function, less for show.
Xikar® Travel Humidors, from $29.99 to $99.99.
Heavy-duty travel humidors are perfect for:
- Longer vacations
- Trips to dry or humid locales (Desert, beach, mountains or waterfront)
What to Look For
- Industrial-grade gasket that creates an airtight and watertight seal
- Strong closures or snaps
- Room to store varying cigar lengths and ring gauges
- Foam trays to secure sticks
- Space for Boveda
- Strong enough to drive a truck over
Armored Humidor System®, from $49.99 to $104.99.
CAN’T DECIDE BETWEEN A CIGAR CARRYING CASE OR TRAVEL HUMIDOR?
Just like you have more than one piece of luggage—think weekend duffle versus business roll away—most cigar aficionados invest in both a cigar case and a travel humidor. There is room in your life for both.
Or go for a more dressed up travel humidor (just don’t toss it around like you would those hard-sided humidors). Davidoff calls its model a travel humidor (it works like a short-term humidor but shows like a cigar case). Its construction, materials and magnetic closure promise up to three weeks of humidity control.
Davidoff Travel Humidor, from $279 to $299. Davidoff’s tray has a flexible wave design that securely holds a few cigars and is crafted from scuba suit material. For more precise humidity control, pop the Davidoff cigar cradle in a medium size Boveda Humidor Bag.
RATHER SPEND MONEY ON SMOKES THAN A FANCY CIGAR CASE OR TRAVEL HUMIDOR?
Boveda Humidor Bags are smart-priced portable humidors. They’re lightweight and easy to fit in a suitcase, briefcase or pocket. And Boveda Humidor Bags are versatile. Use them as your home humidor, travel humidor and cigar case.
- Zips closed to create an airtight seal
- Works better than store-bought sandwich bags because of its tough, high-barrier laminated construction
- Provides the same protection as a plastic container
- Comes prepacked with a patented Boveda 69% RH, which adds and removes moisture to protect your cigars
- Lasts about 1 year (replace the Boveda 69% RH after 6 months or once it becomes hard and rigid)