How do I season a humidor with Boveda?
Before you add cigars to it, every wooden humidor needs to be seasoned to:
- Prevent the wood from robbing your cigar’s essential moisture. (Seasoning raises the wood’s moisture level so it’ll be in equilibrium with your cigars.)
- Create a better seal for the lid, which keeps moisture from escaping.
How many Boveda to use:
- Use (1) Boveda Size 60 for every 25 TOTAL cigars your humidor can hold. Example: For a 100-cigar capacity humidor, use four (4) Size 60 Boveda at once.
How to season a wooden cigar humidor with Boveda:
- Remove your cigars from your humidor and move them into a closed Tupperware® container, cooler or a Humidor Bag with 69% Boveda.
- Place the 84% Boveda seasoning pack(s) inside your empty wooden humidor.
- Close the lid and don’t open the humidor for 14 days—no matter what your hygrometer readings are. (The wait is worth it. Trust us.)
- After 14 days, open your humidor, remove the Boveda seasoning pack(s) and discard them—they aren’t reusable.
- Move your cigars into your well-seasoned humidor and add new Boveda packs in your desired RH—65%, 69%, 72% or 75%. (include RH infographic here?)
How often to season a wooden humidor:
- If you live in a dry climate or experience seasonal dryness, we recommend re-seasoning a wooden humidor one to two times a year.