How do I season a humidor with Boveda?
Watch How To Set Up a Humidor
Before you add cigars to it, every wooden humidor needs to be seasoned to:
- Prevent the wood from robbing your cigar’s essential moisture. (Seasoning raises the wood’s moisture level so it’ll be in equilibrium with your cigars.)
- Create a better seal for the lid, which keeps moisture from escaping.
How many Boveda to use:
- Use (1) Boveda Size 60 for every 25 TOTAL cigars your humidor can hold. Example: For a 100-cigar capacity humidor, use four (4) Size 60 Boveda at once.
How to season a humidor with Boveda:
- Remove your cigars from your humidor and move them into a closed Tupperware® container, cooler or a Humidor Bag with 69% Boveda.
- Place the 84% Boveda seasoning pack(s) inside your empty wooden humidor.
- Close the lid and don’t open the humidor for 14 days—no matter what your hygrometer readings are. (The wait is worth it. Trust us.)
- After 14 days, open your humidor, remove the Boveda seasoning pack(s) and discard them—they aren’t reusable.
- Move your cigars into your well-seasoned humidor and add new Boveda packs in your desired RH—65%, 69%, 72% or 75%. This handy chart will help you choose the right RH for you.
|65%||CUBAN CIGARS||Tightly bound and tend to mold at a higher RH level|
|69%||AIRTIGHT HUMIDORS||Most popular|
|72%||MOST HUMIDORS||Such as wood, glass top, or travel|
|75%||DRAFTY HUMIDORS||Recommended for very dry climates-use at your discretion|
|84%||HUMIDOR SEASONING||Only use to pre-condition a wooden humidor WITHOUT cigars in it|
|Tightly bound and tend to mold at a higher RH level|
|Such as wood, glass top, or travel|
|Recommended for very dry climates-use at your descretion|
|Only use to pre-condition a wooden humidor WITHOUT cigars in it|
How often to season a wooden humidor:
- If you live in a dry climate or experience seasonal dryness, we recommend re-seasoning a wooden humidor one to two times a year.
Should you season a wineador?
Yes, if a windeador has wood trays and shelves, you should season the unit before adding cigars. Seasoning conditions the wood components inside the wineador. Remove the clear plastic overwrap before using. Do NOT open the humidity packet inside. Place the Boveda 84% packs inside an EMPTY unplugged electric cabinet/cooler. Close the door and don’t open the cabinet for 7 days. After 7 days, open the cabinet, remove the Boveda seasoning packs and discard them—they aren’t reusable. Move your items back in, plug in your cabinet & add new Boveda 69% RH maintenance pack (sold separately). NEVER MIX the 84% with any other %RH.